Skip to main content

What is School of Hard Knocks?

Is an idiomatic phrase meaning the life itself, and knowledge (and wisdom) gained by working for it. They are not necessarily from a book. It is most-typically used by a person to claim a level of wisdom imparted by life experience, which should be considered at least equal to academic knowledge.
"For example, you can learn more common sense from the school of hard knocks, than from most any high school, college or university."  
Cities: tradesman, "School of Hard Knocks" Urban Dictionary. Last modified June 15, 2014. http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=tradesman
The practical experience life, including hardship and disappointments. For example, A self-made man, he has not attended to college but comes up through the school of hard knocks. This idiom uses knock, as the metaphor for a setback. It was writing in the mid-1800.
Cities: The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Twirl"

Last week, the word "Twirl" in illustration Friday.com. At first, the spoon star in hot cholocate, although it was not challenge. I decide to draw above here. During research the Ice Dance's body images from Google, I was making the modelling clay into a woman with her body sharp. It was challenge and I took 3 hours to complete it.  I love a beautiful & light blue dress woman skates as the Ice Dance.

"FORWARD"

  I photo the wolves clay before I used them into Photoshop. This is big challenged for me because this word "Forward" can be verity meaning. I was thinking back time when I was high school. In Grade 12, every students and I were focused on exams, marks and projects for making good transcripts.

"Prepare"

Last weekend, I made/cook polymer clay mixed with colour food (through website research), while I was playing and photo these foxes.... it was really FUN! :P At First, I was drawing three different image in a sketch book.